Wednesday 22 September 2010

The Fly (1958) review



Right I don't exactly know how to write this, but I'm just going to go ahead and get it done.

The Fly made in 1958, directed by Kurt Neumann. Personally I thought this film was good for its date, I mean its an old film, I wasnt expecting a lot. If I was to pick out a really bad point about this film, it would be the acting! I found it quite aweful, except Patricia Owens performace as helene Delambre. She made her character very mysterious but lonely aswel, as if you felt her pain throughout the film.



The fly 'man's' head throughout the ending of the film, started to become more and more creepy as the film went out. As if i started to believe that was infact a half man half fly. I liked that character in the sense of the realism it brings to the film.

The style of the film was somewhat interesting, the film starts at the end of he story and the main core of this film is flashback. The flashback became interesting, whilst the rest of the story didn't really interest me at all. I couldn't quite understand why the story was based mainly on Helene Delambre instead of her husband Andre Delambre played by David Hendison. I think the film would have been a lot better if the story was soully on Andre, with helene popping in every now and then. A part of the film that was missing and I believe should be there is the teleportation of the fly and Andre and the result of them combining.

The contrast at the end of the film was a little odd for me. A happy family after an exremely dramatic event, it's as if at this point, its where they all go insane, and pretend nothing has happened....


'Vincent price does a work-man like job in a rather blase part. Unusally he adds a special touch to a film, but really, any number of actors could have played his part here...' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051622


'During the scene where the wife follows her fly-husband’s wishes and puts him in a hydraulic press, there is no music and hardly any sound. So many movies of the era have that bom-Bom-BOMMMMMM music playing over every single action moment, it was completely refreshing to see one played subtle for once...'
http://horror-movie-a-day.blogspot.com/2009/12/fly.html

'Visually, The Fly is several cuts above typical 1950s sci-fi fare'
http://www.answers.com/topic/the-fly-1958-film






ANDRE DELAMBRE : IT'D BE FUNNY IF LIFE WASN'TS SO SACRED

No comments:

Post a Comment