Thursday 27 September 2012

Research 3 - Niflheim

I've dabbled back into the Norse gods and the realms because mainly it is what interests me and what I find exciting. I found a description of one of the nine realms called Niflheim, the description is as follows.

"Niflheim (“house of mists”) is the far northern region of icy fogs and mists, darkness and cold. It is situated on the lowest level of the universe.

The realm of death, Helheim is part of the vast, cold region. Niflheim lies underneath the third root of Yggdrasil, close to the spring Hvergelmir (“roaring cauldron”).

Also situated on this level is Nastrond, the Shore of Corpses, where the serpent Nidhogg eats corpses and gnaws on the roots of Yggdrasil."

What instantly comes to mind is the harsh icy winds in Antarctica and the Artic. With this comes the animals that must survive in this climate. Also the misty conditions add some different ideas and it reminds me of Frank Darabont's thriller - The Mist (2007) and the creatures found in that.

What I would like to do from now on is do Creature Design for a possible film or game, and with this I will design a creature that could be battled inside the preferred media. Whilst designing the creature I will need to think about adaptability, protection, possible camaflage and the part that the creature will be playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment