Sunday 19 December 2010

Dr Who Season 2 Episode 4 - The Girl in the Fireplace

I was reminded of this episode of 'Dr Who' when I looked through a couple of the upper class images from my last post. When viewing at again, I managed to observe it in a different angle than I have done before. Through this angle I noticed that there are some stunning hidden gems just shouting out. Most of them have become perfect for what I want to do. This episode, 'The Girl in the Fireplace' was writen by Steven Moffat and beautifully directed by Euros Lyn that leads to an amazing storyline and awesome sets. The episode is set in different time periods of Madame de Pompadour's life, 1721-1764, in the centre of paris. The sets are obviously what I'm looking for at this point, and theres a few scenes where the doctor enters the seven year old and the 23 year old version of Madame de Pompadour, here are a few screenshots and descriptions of went through my end at the time of the viewing.

1927

 The level ofdetail in craftmenship in the bed and the clock is something that blew me away, it definitly shows upper class. Also the main light being a candle shows an old time period. Simple but effective..... and correct.

 I wasn't going to focus of the characters, but when I saw the first clockwork man it made me remember why I found this epsiode a thriller the first time I watched it. Its the exact likness of a human mixed with the feel of somethings is not right, that scared me and other viewers. This made me realise that this is what also gets me about porcelain dolls. ( just a quick contrast there ).
 I really liked the use of the steps in this room, it gave the area a lift and a breakaway from the rest of the room. Making the fireplace in the lower picture, the main focus of the room, up there on its on.



 I loved the use on this small mirror on the desk, it made me constantly look at it to see if anything was moving. It gave me the same feel as when I watched 'The Haunting' and saw all those mirrors. Also the curvature of the upper class is shown throughout the entire desk and mirror. Beautifully crafted with a gold trim. Below is one of those hiden gems I was wrote about, an awesome use of the mirror to show the reaction of the character.






 The toys in the room for me are a reminder that this highly furnished and detailed room is infact a childs room. The Doll's House and the Rocking Horse surround David Tennant, as if to shout out that he is now stepping into a child's world. I also admire the checkered floor, with it's strong perspection, the design looks like it pulling our eyes towards the fireplace and the objects.



 The Enclosed spaces are good effect to show a sense of entrapment. Also the figure on the left, even though its the closest to the camera, its not the first you see, silent hider. I like how the character is looking straight at the camer at this point, this brings the viewer in and makes them part of the scene.

 I loved this part of the scene, it tell me everything about this set that I hadn't learned already. I previously knew it was 1727 and in paris, information given by a previous scene, now from this image, I know it must be winter time. Also it gives me a quick look at what 1727 looked like. Hiden Gem!!

1943

 A quick admiration for this camera angle, a simple height on the camera and distance of the characters, shows who is more important, also who is noticable and who is not.

 The Room in clearer light, the details really stand out!
 Every corner of the walls are finished with the wavy flower like pattern. It mixes well with the furniture. I think that this why in my previous post I mentioned that in the upper class style it looks like not a lot happens, The effect of everything blending with eachother makes the room look to normal, perfectly normal, where nothing happens.


 A beautiful snap shot of the entire room, grown up this time because the toys are removed and replaced with antique cage and a harp. Now the loss of the toys has taken the youthfulness away.





1952



This scene is creeping in a unexpecting way, its always makes me think, what are they looking at, me? something else, or are they waiting. Also you could ask whats behind the doors. I like the use of the candles in the foreground, although it seems that they are not casting light on anything that is visuable in the shot...

1957







At first I didn't know what I would take from this epsiode, but after viewing it, I realised what an amazing vision this has given me. All the sets, timeline, camera positions, colour pallet and details are all going to come extremely helpful when creating my own scene.


No comments:

Post a Comment