Tuesday 2 October 2012

Metaphors of time

I have found a site that has given me some multiples metaphors surrounding time. I was advised by Alan to take a look at some to enhance my research and direction for the characters.

For example I found this:

  • "Time Is a Storm
    Time is a storm in which we are all lost. Only inside the convolutions of the storm itself shall we find our directions."
    (William Carlos Williams, Introduction, Selected Essays)


  • Now this is interesting because it gives me a field to work with. I can see Time as a storm which leads to chaos and distruction. So from this it would be an evil character with some form of essence that makes it impossible to escape. I can always interpret the "Only inside the convolutions of the storm itself  shall we find out directions" as a form of weakness that time can have; a way out.

    Another interesting one is:

  • Time Is a Prison
    Initially, I was unaware that time, so boundless at first blush, was a prison.
    (Vladimir Nabokov, Speak, Memory)

  • This again would lead me to think of an evil character but maybe not even a character, maybe a structure - depending on how it can go.

    "Time Is a TeacherTime is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."

    This metaphor reminds me of an erosion, or a slow killing as time passes.


    There are other metaphors that I could work with but these are my favourites at the moment.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment